Pregnancy loss is an experience involving grief and pain. Such a loss, whatever the cause, be it miscarriage, still birth, infertility or an abortion, is an ordeal which should not be ignored or denied. The Ray County Women's Resource Center can help women deal with these symptoms. Call our office today for an appointment at (816) 520-7828.
The symptoms of post-abortion syndrome will not necessarily appear at the same time, nor is it likely that any woman will experience the entire list. But, some symptoms may occur immediately after an abortion and others much later. Some of the symptoms are:
- Psychological "numbing"
- Depression and thoughts of suicide
- Sad mood
- Sudden and uncontrollable crying episodes
- Deterioration of self-concept
- Reduced motivation
- Disruption in interpersonal relationships
- Anniversary syndrome
- Re-experiencing the abortion
- Preoccupation with becoming pregnant again
- Anxiety over fertility and childbearing issues
- Interruption of the bonding process with present and/or future children
- Survival guilt
- Development of eating disorders
- Alcohol and drug abuse
- Other self-punishing behaviors
Post Abortion Stress Syndrome (PAS) is similar to post-traumatic stress disorder. The process of making an abortion choice, experiencing the procedure and living with the grief, pain and regret is certainly, at its very core, traumatic. As a result and as with any trauma, individuals often try to "forget" the ordeal and deny or ignore any pain that may result.
The Ray County Women's Resource Center provides resources for recovery of those struggling with healing through the facilitation of classes that help women through their loss from elective abortions.